In the event of a fire incidence, the most extensive damage is mostly caused by the smoke. This is mainly a result of the permeating nature of the smoke. As a result of this, smoke can damage areas that only get to find out later. The smoke quickly travels upward whenever there’s a fire outbreak. It is aided by such crevices and orifice it can find. An example will include power outlet, plumbing network, ventilation system, to name a few. It is important to know the things to do with regards to smoke damage cleanup Lakeland Florida. Conversely, it would be best if you also were equipped with the things avoid in the event of smoke damage.
What You Should Do:
- Foremost of all, you should blow off (or vacuum) leftover soot from the ground covers, curtain and furniture. You can then use old towels to prevent further damage.
- Promptly dispose of any food that was opened during the period of the smoke damage. It is unpalatable and dangerous to consume such foods because of soot contamination.
- If there was power outage due to the fire outbreak, clean out the content of the refrigerator (or freezer). Keep the refrigerator door opened so as to allow proper aeration. This will help you prevent offensive odors
- It would help if you properly cleaned soot of all smooth surfaces in your home. Otherwise, it will leave denting impression on them. Example of such surfaces will include porcelain, chrome, and Formica.
- Quickly change the air filters and cheesecloth that serve as covering for your home’s inlet and outlet. This will help you isolate any lingering and prevent it from entering your rooms.
- Finally, if the current temperature permits, leave your doors and windows open. This is to make sure no odor lingers after the smoke damage clean-up.
What You Shouldn’t Do:
- Do not clean papered or flat painted walls. Instead, consult a professional smoke damage cleanup Lakeland Florida. Because wrongly cleaning it will make it worse.
- Do not attempt to further clean carpets and furniture after blowing off or vacuum cleaning.
- Do not attempt to operate any electrical appliance close to the fire. You should first consult a professional to assess the conditions of these appliances. It is always safer to replace these appliances.
- Do not attempt to use any electrical component if your ceiling is still wet. This act could result in a short circuit and other similar electrical issues.
- Do not hesitate to call a professional to help you clean up your home! There are lots of things you can do yourself to effect a proper smoke damage clean-up. However, it is always safer to have a professional cleaner salvage the situation. Apart from their smoke damage clean-up expertise, they can also give you tips. These tips will come in handy when you’re dealing with the lingering soot.
Damage caused by smoke can be very menacing. Nevertheless, with proper smoke damage clean-up, things can look up again.